Monday, 17 June 2013

Stolen: A Letter to my captor

Author: Lucy Christopher
Characters: Gemma Toombs and Ty MacFarlane
Genre: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction
My rating: 5/5

This novel is mind blowing. One of the best novels I have ever read. The plot itself is Genius but it's the background and the set up that stays in your head forever. Even today I wish I could see the red desert and the starts that Gemma saw. Every time I break an Aloe Vera leaf and it bleeds it reminds me of Gemma under the hills...

Gemma is a teenager who meets Ty in an airport. He is this sturdy and charming-in-a-vulnerable way guy who buys coffee for her making her feel adult-ish. After drinking coffee with him she starts feeling woozy and before she knows she is on a bed in a house in the middle of Australian desert!

Ty never hurts her or molests her but he loves her. He had seen her and stalked her ever since she was a kid and has fallen head over heels for her....

Ty can be artistic, sweet and kind - a perfect guy and he can be cruel guy with a quick temper within seconds. So you kinda like him even though you know you are not supposed to. In short you start experiencing the same feelings as Gemma. You start thinking of what you would have done if you were in Gemma's place. You want to love Ty and comfort him but he did kidnap you, not easy to forget. He can kill you and nobody would know.

This is when Stockholm Syndrome comes into play. Stockholm syndrome is a psychological phenomenon in which the captors either start feeling sympathy or even love for their captor in the hop that the captor would return those feelings and not hurt them. Gemma and the readers go through the same thing. We start understanding Ty, expecting him to be the one. I remember thinking in the end that if only Ty hadn't kidnapped Gemma but would have asked her on a date like a normal guy they would have been perfect for each other but now when I think about it I am not that sure. Ty was always broken, he would have never been able to sustain their relationship. Maybe he would have gotten overprotective, maybe would have hit her but they just couldn't have a happily ever after...

The reason I fell in love with this book is because it challenged me. It wasn't predictable and yet everyone knows how will it end. It' one book you never want to end and something that will stay with you forever...

XOXO
Arushi Raj

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds really interesting and as you have said it seems super challenging. Great review! =)
    I am going to add this book to my TRL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me it's fantastic, you will love it. :-)

      Delete